Sunday, June 10, 2018

Breast Feeding and Public...


In case anyone was wondering, I am 100% pro breast feeding - HOWEVER!!! I am also 100% pro Fed is Best!  A momma has gotta do what a momma has gotta do to feed her child.  I am also a woman living with PCOS.  Most PCOS patients have a low milk supply and are unable to breast feed.

Thankfully, I have been blessed with a supply that not only feeds Diana, but also allows me to pump and have a frozen supply for when I go back to work... which is another post in itself.

While I am pro breast feeding, I have yet to feed Diana in public.  I either work it out to where she is fed before we leave the house, OR I find myself sitting with her in the backseat of our car with the air running.  Mainly because I am terrified... I am terrified of someone saying something to me in public.  We have tried to use a cover, but Diana refuses - not that I blame her... I don't think I would enjoy my meal under a blanket either.  And I absolutely REFUSE to feed her in a restroom... GROSS!!! 

Tonight, I was at Target with my parents and Diana decided it was dinner time - I feed her on demand, and she is usually on a really good schedule, but that doesn't matter.  We had just checked out, and I thought we had plenty of time to get home... I was wrong.  I started to take her out of her pumpkin seat to walk out to the car, when my mom remembered we were standing in a newly remodeled Target - Complete with a brand new Mother's Room! 

I grabbed Ole Girl and headed for the fitting rooms!  Sure enough, there was a nursing room!  I didn't take pictures, as I didn't have my phone - big mistake... BUT!!  The door had a lock, so we were in complete privacy.  The room had a comfy chair, with a table close by with ports to charge a phone.  The room was even large enough for a family to use as a family fitting room!  The ONLY thing I can think of that would have made it any better is if it had a changing station.  And the ONLY reason why I think a changing station would have made the room a bit better is because I am not sure if there is a changing station in the men's room.  Dad's have to change kiddo's too... but that's not the point.

Target's stance and support of breast feeding mothers made it possible for me to feed my daughter in a private location, without fear of judgement from other customers.  Even the employees were kind enough to show me to the room, when I wasn't 100% sure of where it was located. 

As a brand new, first time mom who is doing my best to continue breast feeding, I appreciate the fact that I can feed my daughter while shopping.  Honestly, I don't have that option at any other store... even if they have a Pro Breast Feeding stance, I would still have to sit out somewhere and worry about other customers and their comments.

For all you mommies who choose to breast feed, uncovered, and in public - I salute and support you!  If I see you out, I would gladly sit and chat with you for a moment and show my support!  I just don't have the confidence in myself to do it... But I am working on it.

Thank you Target!!  This breast feeding mom thanks you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment