Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Planking Anyone?


Last night was Mauy Thai!  We worked on clinch work, and because we were spinning in circles, and I was looking at my feet while doing so... I got super dizzy.  That was lame.  But it was a great class, and I learned that I just don't like touching sweaty people... especially face to face.  But I will be alright.



After class was over, I asked my coach if he could work with me on helping me do a somersault.  He is very patient, and he has already helped me overcome other obstacles, so I figured he could help me with this!  We determined that I have some sort of mental block about falling face first into the floor.  You would think this would be easy right?  Just tuck your head, and roll... Well, I tuck my head, and I start to roll, and then I throw my hands out and stop myself.

In my frustration, I pulled out one of the thicker mats and began working.  I didn't have as far to "fall" and had no problems once I did it a couple times.  I would roll on the big mat, and then try again without.... Same result - fear.  And then I started with the internal dialog:  You are too fat to do this.  You are too old to do this.  What do you think you are doing?  You are never going to get this.

And that is where I left the mat completely.  I have spent my entire adult life allowing my weight to get in my way.  It has stopped me from going places: Six Flags cause I can't fit.  It has stopped me from enjoying things:  What if I don't fit in my seat at the Cards game?  What will the stranger next to me think when I am wedged into my seat and lopping over into their personal space?  It has even stopped me from jujitsu:  You are too fat to be swinging your big ole butt around to perform an arm bar (truth, I haven't been back to a jujitsu class since...)  I am disappointed and frustrated, and now I am MAD!  I want to do the stupid somersault!!  I want it more than anything right now, because honestly it's the only things standing in my way at the moment!

UGH!!!

On to something else!

Planking!  Who wants to do a challenge with me???  30 day planking challenge.  My support group chat on facebook (a couple of friends and I who talk about pretty much everything, but mostly support each others weightloss and all things related) saw this and we decided to do it!  I mean, what is it going to hurt, right?  Besides our arms, and abs, and back...

So tonight, I challenge you to 20 seconds of constant plank.  Tomorrow is also 20 seconds!  Come on!! Don't listen to your inner voice saying you can't!  You can do anything for 20 seconds!! (Except somersault for the moment!)  Let's do this!  20 seconds!  It has taken OVER 20 seconds to read this!!

Here is the challenge:


You can do this!  I believe in you!!

Happy Planking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment