Friday, June 10, 2016

What would you change?


This week, our local library uploaded that last 100 years worth of year books from the local high school.  My facebook feed has exploded with people looking up photos!  People finding family, their parents, themselves.  Of course, I did the same.  These are mine, freshman through senior year.



My favorite picture, oddly enough, is my sophomore year picture.  That was the year I spent on crutches... I hurt my knee in the second soccer game I had ever played in my entire life.  Spent 6 months in a brace and on crutches, then had surgery later in the year which meant more time on crutches.   Freshman and sophomore years were the only time I ever had a abs!  Between softball and a year on crutches, my muscles looked great.

I could go on and on with stories from my 4 short years in high school, but what has struck me this week is what I would LOVE to do!  If time travel were possible, I would go back.  I am sure everyone has these thoughts, but I would go back in a heart beat!

Not so much to relive the time, but I would sit me down and have a long conversation.  I used to think I was fat!  When I graduated, I barely weighed more than 150 pounds.  Probably over weight for my height and age, but I definitely was NOT fat... but I honestly believed I was fat in high school.

I truly believe that our years in high school define who we are as people.  We learn in school, but we also learn socially.  Things that happen to us in those years seem to shape our self thinking.  Being bullied in high school might make you anxious or depressed as an adult.

I never was the fastest runner, I never was the smartest student, probably not even the greatest singer... but I am who I am because of these years.  But I sure would go back and have a conversation about what I should stop thinking about.  I would talk myself into believing that I was thin, and might teach me how to eat better and maybe even try to talk myself into getting in MMA at that age - rather than 32!

But I also know myself at 17.  I was hard headed and was dead set on doing what I wanted.

If you could go back and tell yourself something, what would it be?

ALSO! If you like Stephen King, and like time travel shows, take a day and binge watch 11.22.63 on hulu.  It also had me thinking about what I would do if I could go back!

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment