Thursday, June 23, 2016

Ohana means "Family"... Hale ha'uki ohana means "Gym Family"


There is something to be said for the people that you surround yourself with.  Even the bible says: As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend - Proverbs 27:17.


When we stepped into the gym for the first time in January, I was terrified.  My first experience was at a gym that I won't name - Out of respect.  It was a chain gym, and I KNOW the person signing me up was all about getting my money, as was the "trainer" I was assigned.  I had an extremely bad time.  The people in the gym were not very friendly, and the workers couldn't even tell me how to use half of the machines.  

So, when we joined The Hit Squad I was extremely up front with the Manager.  I told him my experience, and he assured me that it wouldn't happen here.  And it hasn't!  It has been the polar opposite of my first experience!

When we started, I felt extremely shy and just wanted to remain unseen.  I didn't feel ok with my body, I felt completely unsure of my movement, and wasn't even sure I knew how to throw a real punch.  Let alone lift my leg to throw a kick.  And my first experience in Judo and Jujitsu... Needless to say, I felt like a train wreck.  I couldn't even get my belt tied right.

Let's fast forward to June.  6 months in, and I can actually throw a hook properly!  I can even throw punches while moving!  My belt actually goes around me twice, and ties properly!  And while I may power spit every once in a while, I don't quit!!!

I will be the first person to tell you that your support system is one of the MOST important components of getting healthy, and staying healthy.  If your roommate, spouse, significant other (basically anyone living in your house) continues to eat like junk and refuses to move off the couch, you are more likely to fail.  At least, that is my experience.  It takes constant reassurance and encouragement!

While I appreciate Brandon for keeping me in check at home, my team at work for keeping me in check at work, and my chat group on facebook who are constantly reassuring each other... They can't be in practice with me.  

For example... Tuesday in Judo, they worked us HARD on our close out.  2 rounds of Circle of Death, and then something that I can't explain other than raising your legs off the floor, and raising your hands in the air.  We were basically balancing on the smalls of our backs.  Hold the pose for like 20 seconds (I could be wrong with the count, it felt like an hour each time...) and then rest for 2 seconds.  Yes, you read that correctly... 2 SECONDS!!

It hurt.  A good hurt.  But it hurts to stand, it hurts to roll over, it even hurts to take a deep breathe!  But what is super cool is that we wouldn't let each other quit!  When it got tough for one, we rallied and kept telling them to push.  I even noticed my Sensei come up and start telling me not to quit, not to give up, and I was getting stronger.  He seemed to walk to each person and encourage us not to quit.  Even as we were all walking out, there were constant comments of "way to push hard tonight" and things to keep encouraging even OFF the mat!

I love that!

I love the fact that if we miss a practice (or class) I get text messages that we were missed.  I love that when the owners are there at the same time as me, they make it a point to come and talk to each member (myself included) and say hello and encourage us to keep going.  They even mentioned that they read my blog (shout out to Jesse and Kristin!!) 

All of this to say:  It is extremely important to make sure you are at the right gym for you!  Like iron sharpening iron, we don't let each other quit!  Failure is NOT an option, because when 1 of us falls we ALL fall!  

If you want acceptance for your level, encouragement to keep going, and friends who understand why you are throwing up or crying in pain, come to The Hit Squad!  We are family!  

How is everyone else doing?  Making your goals?  the end of June is in sight!! :)  DON'T QUIT!




No comments:

Post a Comment