Friday, January 1, 2010

First Thing's First


This is me. Me=Shanna. I am using 2010 to change the things about me I am not happy with, and one of those things is my weight... I currently sit at 245 pounds. I hate it. So, I am changing it.
At the age of 24, I had my first gall bladder attack. My surgeon said to me that part of the reason I was having that problem was because of my eating habits. They consisted of pretty much McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut. When I would cook at home for myself, it consisted of Mac-n-cheese and frozen chicken nuggets... I hardly ever ate anything that was good for me. At all. I couldn't hardly walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I was gasping for air, let alone clean my small 2 bedroom house without wanting to sit and rest for a bit.

2010, however, this will be different. I have made a few decisions on how I want to change my life, and my weight is one of those things. I want to start running, I want to start bike riding, and eventually learn to swim. Why? I would like to compete in a triathlon in the next 2 years. I would like to compete in an Ironman in the next 5 years. And to start, I am running in The First Annual Resolution Run in Troy.

I will post my time... as soon as I have one!

What are triathlons and Ironman? Triathlons are a Swim/Bike/Run competition. Triathlons come in all different distances, but standard distances consist of .93 mile swim/24.8 mile bike/6.2 mile run. The Ironman, however, is 2.4 mile swim/114 mile bike/26.2 run and all completed within 17 hours. This is the ultimate test of human ability, but I will write more about that later.

Which brings me to why I am keeping a blog. Well, basically I need something to keep me in check, and this is it. I like reading what other people do on their quest to keep in shape, lose weight, and even prepare for triathlons, why wouldn't people like to read about mine? I want to reach my goals, which I am trying to be realistic about. For example, tomorrow my only goal is to finish and not finish dead last. Time is really not important to me tomorrow. But next year, I want to beat the time I will set this year.

I plan to weigh in once a week, post pictures once a month, and tell my story as I trek along. I may even post a recipe or 2.

So, welcome to the show, and enjoy the ride.
Starting numbers:
Weight: 245 pounds
Bust: 47.5 inches
Waist: 51.5 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment