Friday, January 8, 2010

Good Food and Cold Weather


So, being sick sort of has its perks.  I mean, I got on the Wii Fit scale today and it said I was down a whole pound, but I have to wonder.  Is it because I have been focusing on eating better?  Or is because for the last 2 days the last thing I have felt like doing is eat?

I really didn't eat much, because my sinuses have hated me.  I have been sleeping pretty much all the time.  I still don't feel 100% but I am holding out hope.

I did, however, feel like cooking today for some reason.  I don't know what possessed me, but I am assuming since its only 8 DEGREES (!!)  I wanted something to eat that was filling and WARM!!  So, I jumped over to one of my favorite sites, allrecipes.com  and found this little gem.  It was amazing!  If you want to make something that takes almost no time to prep and only 4 short hours to cook in the slow cooker, try this.  When we ate it, we did not need a knife to cut it up.  And it was sooooo good (if I do say so myself).

Now, for what's on the rest of the plate...  I steamed broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower (about 3 minutes in the microwave in a small pampered chef steamer) and a little bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.  The little strips at the top of the plate are, are you ready for this, egg plant fries!  I wasn't sure how they turned out, and I think they could have stayed in the oven a bit longer, but they were good anyway.  I halved an eggplant, took the skin off and then sliced it to the size of fry I wanted.  I put all the slices in a freezer bag with a couple glugs of olive oil (I don't measure by the way, sorry)  a few shakes of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and shook the bag for a bit.  I preheated the oven to 450 degrees, then baked the fries for 8 minutes on each side.  Next time, I will probably try to make the slices a bit smaller and bake them a few minutes longer.

So, thanks to Mother Nature, we got a couple inches of snow.  And with the snow, I for some reason have had the worst time dealing with a sinus mung of some kind.  I don't know if it is an infection or if my sinuses are just mad at the weather change or just what.  I just know that I have not felt like doing anything except lay on my couch and snuggle under covers with a box of kleenex and my dog.  So of course, I have not worked out at all.  Unless you consider walking from couch to my bedroom exercise, which I really don't.  I will say that the few days that I used the Jillian Michael's Wii game, I was sore.  Maybe tomorrow I will get around to that review for you guys tomorrow... 

OH!  And if you haven't seen Julie and Julia I totally recommend it!  But make sure you eat first... it seriously makes me hungry every time I watch it.  It is such a good movie.

Until next time, stay warm...


No comments:

Post a Comment