Monday, May 9, 2016

Breaking the Habit


I have a question... why is it SO HARD to change habits as an adult?

I mean, even as adults, there are consequences.  So, what's the big deal?!  Why is behavior modification so much easier seemingly as a child?

It feels like all the planning, prepping, scheduling, tracking, and following certain criteria has resulted in my still wanting the bad stuff.  I could eat the crap out of a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg right now... Have we really gone so far in altering foods to train our bodies to enjoy the terrible stuff that there is no going back?

Sunday cheat day is such a wonderful time of the week!  I try not to go completely crazy, but it's the day that we throw the rule book to the side and enjoy what we are craving.  Sometimes it's an ice cold Dr. Pepper, or a nice hot slice of pepperoni pizza.  Sometimes, it's even ice cream!  

And then Monday comes...

Monday's are the worst for me!  I wake up wanting all of the bad stuff that I enjoyed the day before.  Usually by Tuesday, my mind and body have gotten it together enough that eating like a rabbit isn't so bad.  But those sugar hangovers are ROUGH to get through sometimes.

On a different note, I have created for myself a new food journal.  In the time that I started tracking everything for my nutritionist, I had gone completely through an entire notebook.  While they aren't expensive, I really didn't want to buy a new note book every month... I do want to keep all of the information so I can look back and see my progress.  So, I created a binder with pages that includes all of my tracked information.  When one month comes to an end, I can see a general outline for the month, and each day if I want.  Today is only day 3 of using, and so far, I think I like it!

I am tracking quite a lot of information, most comes from my tracking between myfitnesspal.com and my fitbit.

Daily, I track:
Calories IN
Calories OUT
Steps
Sleep - Time sleeping, Awake, and Restless
Food
Activities

Weekly, I track:
Measurements
Weight
General Notes

I hope to be able to keep 1 year in each binder.  Which means I HAVE to be in this for the long haul.  My plan is to get monthly dividers, and keep notes on things that happen in that month.  For example, my bib from the recent 5k is going to get stapled to my May monthly sheet!  I think it will be the best way for me to keep track of my progress in 1 central location.

If you see me, and you see me with a green binder (because I didn't have an orange one...) and you want to see it, just say so!  I will gladly show anyone who wants a look.  Might give you an idea on how to track your own progress!

Muay Thai tonight and Strength Training!  I hope my legs hold out!  This rain is hurting...

No comments:

Post a Comment