Thursday, May 5, 2016

Eat to live, or live to eat? That is the question...


Food is a MAJOR downfall of mine... I want to eat it!  Usually, it tastes good, so why not - Right?

Well, I am starting to notice things while on this journey.  Why do I eat when I do?  I eat breakfast in the morning, because I am awake, it's early, and I am told its the most important meal of the day.  But what I am also noticing is that if I eat breakfast when I am hungry, and it's on plan, I tend not to snack until lunch.  It's strange the way the brain works!

I find that if I eat junk for breakfast, I feel like I am starving an hour later... 

Lunch... same thing.  If I eat something on plan, and around the general lunch time, I am satisfied. 

I do admit, when I have a training session coming up, I do try to squeeze in a small snack just to keep my tank filled until I get home for dinner.  I don't always get it in, but I can certainly tell when I don't.

After dinner, I sometimes struggle... because I want something sweet.  Lately, I have been satisfied with an on plan "fudge bar" and I am good.  But sometimes, I just want to eat chocolate.  The only time I allow myself to do so is on Sunday cheat days, and usually I forget all about the candy...

The hardest time I have with eating is when my emotions get out of control.  If I get frustrated, I want to eat.  Happy?  I want to eat.  Sad?  Eat.

Why is this?  Why do we celebrate everything with food?  You did great today!  Let's go eat some ice cream.  Or, Aunt Flo is in town, let's celebrate with EATING EVERYTHING!! (ladies, raise your hand if you are with me!!)

I have challenged myself and my support group with this:  why are you eating?

My goal is not to question why I am eating breakfast/lunch/dinner, but why am I munching at my desk after I just had lunch?  Why am I making myself sick off of chips and salsa, after I have already eaten my sandwich for dinner?  And then eating an entire package of strawberries?  There is NO WAY I should have been hungry after dinner...

So, I challenge you dear reader... why are you eating?  If you are choosing donuts for breakfast, ok!  But why do you feel you need 2, 3, or more?  Eating lunch at noon?!  That's fine!  But then why are you nearly gnawing on your desk an hour later?

Maybe I am wrong, but focusing on the WHY helps me determine the behavior that may or may not need to change.

Until tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment