Sunday, May 1, 2016

Roller Coaster Race 2016


5:30am came WAY TOO FAST this morning, but when the alarm went off, I got up.  I was ready and out the door by 6:00 to meet some friends so we could all ride together.  Stopped at QT for a quick breakfast that consisted of a breakfast burrito and an Orange Monster.  I mean, if you are going to do anything that early, you need go juice.  Coffee and running, apparently, do NOT mix well... so Monster was the next best choice!




We got to Six Flags St. Louis, and the race started at 7:30.  A bunch of other people showed up too! There was a 5k AND a 10k... overachievers... HA!  We headed towards the back of the line so to keep out of the way.  Plus, none of us had really prepared for this as much as we should have, so we were there more for fun than anything else.

Because we were so far back, we actually crossed the start line nearly 2 minutes in!


Of course, we got all excited when the first thing we saw after the start line was the 3 mile marker... Too bad we were only .1 mile into the race.

We went all the way around the parking lot, and as we were nearing the first mile marker, we heard the 5k winner cross the line.  I didn't know people could run that fast, but apparently they can!  Not sure who it was, but good for them!




We came around the parking lot and headed towards the water park.  That was kind of neat, because we actually ended up behind the Batman Ride.  The 1 mile marker was near the Joker, and we were then INSIDE the park.  I didn't get a picture of mile 1.  I guess I was too excited to think about it.

We came around to the front of the Batman and then headed towards the Palace.  This is where we encountered Mile 2.



Won't lie... Mile 2 was THE WORST!!  We past the Palace and headed towards the Tidal Wave.  On the way, we climbed the hill that I even hated when I was a kid!  It is rough on a good day, and here we are on Race Day... everyone knows that hill... its the hill that you encounter near the McDonald's and you have to take to get to the Mine Train.  Once we got past the Tidal Wave, we encountered THE WORST HILL OF THE DAY!!!  It was almost straight up!  It's the hill that takes you around behind the Screaming Eagle (which was NOT running, and I didn't get to ride today... sad panda...) That hill hurt.  

After the Screaming Eagle, we got to cut through Ole Glory Amphitheater (is that how you spell that?  Spellcheck says that's how you spell that... but I am not sure).  Then I got a stupid rock in my shoe.  But I had a great seat for the No Concert Going On.



After we made it out of Ole Glory, we headed back towards the Palace, and then turned towards the new Justice League ride and Mr. Freeze.



After Mr. Freeze, we ended up over near American Thunder (the best ride after the Screaming Eagle) and then back behind the scenes.  It was kind of weird to be back in this area... It was where we saw the old Mystery Machine, and the props for Fright Fest.


Then... we rounded the corner, and guess what we saw??



THAT'S RIGHT!  THE LEGIT MILE 3 MARKER!!!

We heard the music, we heard the crowd screaming for us, and WE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE!


We were met with our Run Medals and Powerade and Food!



Pretty neat if you ask me!

Then started the roller coaster portion.  I was a little nervous, because of fitting.  We met up with my cousin and some friends, and it was time to RIDE.

We rode Mr. Freeze first, and I got a little nervous because someone before us had to leave because they couldn't fit.  My heart broke for that person.  But she had a great attitude!  Then my gate opened.  My cousin went first, and then I got in.  I did get nervous because while I got the lap bar down, I couldn't get the belt.  Turns out, my arms were too short to reach.  The worker came down to check the bars, and snapped that belt like it was no problem!  I even had wiggle room!

That first ride was incredible!  I thought it was fun forward, but now they run it backwards!! It is so awesome on every level!

We then went to ride American Thunder, then The Boss, and finally the Mine Train 3 times (to be safe)

There was no way we were going to do the Ninja - we all enjoyed not having headaches for the rest of the day.  Screaming Eagle wasn't running, Boomerang looked silly, and Pandemonium makes me sick... BUT the goal was to ride 3.1 miles... and we did it!


Got a medal for THAT too!


Ran into my boyfriend while walking around the park...


And you CAN'T come to Six Flags without indulging in a waffle cone... I mean, St. Louis IS the home of the waffle cone... (maybe that's just MY excuse - Sunday is cheat day...)

All in all, I had an awesome day.  My legs hurt so bad, sleep is going to hurt, but it was a wonderful day!  We had great weather, great company, and we ALL did something today!  Some people are too afraid to run/walk a 5k... we did it!  We may not have been the fastest, it may not have been the prettiest, but we finished!  We crossed the finish line!  And THAT is what is important.  Finish what you start, even if it hurts.  Nothing worth doing is going to be easy.  And while I am sore today, and probably tomorrow too, once the pain leaves I will be stronger!

HUGE SHOUTOUT to my friends:  Dawn Thaler, Mike Farmer, Pat McGee, Carolyn Kinnunen, and Emily and David McCosky!  WE DID IT GUYS!!! (except we totally forgot a group picture...)






We did this.  I DID THIS!  And I choose NOT to give up!! No horizontal running for this chick!


No comments:

Post a Comment