Thursday, November 15, 2018

Day 15 - A Little Bit Later Than Normal...


Words are such important things to be careful with.

This one kind of struck me today... I just had a meeting with my manager to make sure that I am on track for my goals and to get a really good review for 2018.  She said something that will hopefully stick with me.

Rather than saying "there are some areas that you aren't doing well"  She said something like "How can we identify areas of opportunity, both good and bad"  Now, she was just using this as an example, as I have done really well this year.  

It spoke volumes to me that she was looking at things from a positive perspective, instead of negative.  

Today, St. Louis was hit with a snow storm... making the commute to work a horrible experience.  When I woke up, I was bummed that we didn't have a snow day, but then I thought of the fact that this will be Diana's first experience with snow.  We bundled her up and took her out on our back porch.  I leaned down with her the arm rail of our deck and watched as she put her hand in the snow for the first time.  She didn't care for it at all!!  When we put a tiny bit in her mouth, she acted like it was a lemon or something!

What does this have to do with words?  Well... I woke up ready to scream and cry over the weather, but ended up crying laughing over the reaction my kiddo had to snow!  While the words weren't verbalized, they were in my thoughts... and that can end up WORSE than verbal words!

People, whether they believe it or not, are sensitive creatures.  Words are like a double edged sword... they can cut.  Sometimes to the core!  Words have the power to lift people up, or bring people down.  They can fill them with joy, or fill them with pain.  Words can make you laugh, they can make you cry.  Be careful!

If I could teach Diana anything it would be to be tender with her words.  She has no idea how she could change the world with 1 word.

Words are such important things to be careful with.

How are YOU being careful with your words??

No comments:

Post a Comment