Saturday, November 17, 2018

Day 17 - Kindness



Your own soul is nourished when you are kind - Proverbs 11:17

I have a love/hate relationship with the holiday season... I am not a fan of decorating - because my house is destroyed in the process, and then destroyed again when we take everything down... hoping that having Diana will change my mind on that this year.  I am a HUGE fan of gift giving and being with family though!!  So, that more than makes up for it all in my mind.

However, this is also what I hate about this time of year... we go shopping, like the rest of the world, and see the most nasty people.  People being rude to sales people, being rude to other people around them, even being rude to the people they are with!  Yelling at their kids to be quiet or sit still - yet forgetting that the hustle and bustle, the lights, the sounds, SANTA CLAUS IN THE MALL, are all stimulating their little ones and getting them excited!!  Yelling at their spouse because the line to Starbucks is too long... I could go on and on.

I used to work at the mall during the holiday season - I loved the people watching, but sometimes the people interaction was a bit much...

Does it cost you anything to be kind?  Does it hurt you to take a minute with your kids and notice the things going on around them?  I say that before I experience my first holiday season with Diana... but hear me out...

I have already experienced life with her in the way that she notices everything!  Even bed time has become somewhat of a challenge because she notices things in her room that she wants to touch and interact with.  I try to remind myself that she is a tiny human, and like me she gets distracted by things.  Poor Brandon has already experienced the holidays with me - over-stimulation and too many shiny things to look at... 

My goal for the holidays this year is to take it all in with my little family.  Giving a few minutes to look at the lights, take in the sounds, enjoy the few precious moments we have together.  She won't be little forever, and the holidays should be a time of kindness!

Is going to hurt you to open the door for someone?  Or give an extra ounce of grace to the kiddo or ADULT having a meltdown in the store?  No.  I promise you.  It might actually make you feel GOOD to do something kind for another person.

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind - Proverbs 11:17

How can you show kindness this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment