Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Day 20 - Thankful


Always be thankful - Colossians 3:15

What a concept, right?  To always be thankful?

I think in today's society, when we are wrapped up in all of the things we need to do, all the distractions life brings, and general life we forget to be thankful.

I have been to Haiti 3 times, and something happened on the last trip that just broke my heart into a million pieces... I worked with an organization that was focused on keeping families together.  I could go into the horribleness of foreign orphanages, or the fact that most children in Haiti have living parents and/or relatives, but for various reasons they send them to orphanages... but that is a post for a different day.

The organization I was working with hosted a feeding program 3 times a week - the families came weekly to a classroom type setting, they studied the bible and sang songs, and then had lunch.  I was busy handing out bowls of chicken and rice, when I noticed a young girl (couldn't have been more than 4 years old) in the front row holding a small butter dish.  I thought that was interesting, so I stopped and watched her for a second.

She slowly opened the dish and started scooping her meal into the bowl.  I asked the leader why she was doing that, and the response almost killed me where I stood.  She was saving some for her sick sister and mother who couldn't make it to the program at that time.

Each time I go to Haiti, I walk away with something new.  This time, I walked away being more thankful than ever!  I live in a society where I can run to McDonald's any time I am hungry, yet I helped with a feeding program who helped a small child take lunch home to her family because they had nothing to eat that day. 

I have so many stories from Haiti... but like I said, they are stories for another time.

Always be thankful - Colossians 3:15

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment