Thursday, November 8, 2018

Day 8 - Knowing Your Heart


God, who knows all hearts, knows your. - Proverbs 24:12

Not going to lie... I had a hard time with this one today.  I wasn't sure of the context of this, and couldn't really decide what to write to you all today... so I set out to do some research.

Turns out, this scripture basically falls into a chapter that refers to the "Good Samaritan" story.  We all know this one, right?  Guy gets beaten and left in the road.  2 people avoid the man, but a Samaritan saves the day - even goes out of his way to make sure the man is cared for and is returned to health, even after he has to leave the man.

Today's Proverb is basically reminding the reader that God knows your heart in all situations.  If you see someone who needs help, and you don't, God will hold you accountable.  God considers your motivations and actions. 

We started watching a new show on TV called "New Amsterdam" and one of the first things the new doctor says when he gathers his department heads together is "how can I help?"  I don't know why that question struck me, but it really has.  In all aspects of life, I find myself wondering "how can I help?"  It might be offering a kind word when I see a post of a friend that sounds like they are in a dark place, it might be cleaning up my house so Brandon doesn't have to worry about it, it could be anything.

I am not suggesting that you do things without considering consequence... don't be "foolish" but consider the situation, consider your gifts, and then ask yourself "How can I help?" especially knowing that God will examine your heart.

How are you helping?

No comments:

Post a Comment